Mortar and Progress

image

With Edinburgh`s walled city becoming too crowded for it’s inhabitants, a New Town was proposed. Located across the Nor Loch, building started in 1765 and demand for materials were high. Mortar was needed and the main ingredient came from the grounds around Shrub hill, the same ground where the bodies from it’s old gallows were burnt and buried.
A2 (420×594) pen and ink, framed on rails. £200